Signs Termites Might Be Eating Away This Winter
Termites live year-round and can pose a significant problem, even if it’s freezing outside.
When you think about termites, you may think about springtime and moisture
The only good news about wintertime and termites is that their egg production might dip, but the ones that are still alive and active will continue to do what they do best – cause trouble. So, even if the temperature outside has dipped down, you still need to look for signs that you might have termites lurking behind your walls and eating through your construction. To ensure that you are termite-free through cold weather, look for these telltale signs that they are active:
- Drywall that is either
droopingor discolored. If you notice paint peeling that appears to look like water damage, that might signal a termite problem. They might also show signs of tiny pinholes created in the drywall.
- If you tap on your wood and it has a hollow sound, then that might mean that termites are present.
- Termites leave maze patterns in wood, which can either be on the exterior of your home – like the siding – or even on things within your home, like furniture.
- Squeaky, loose, or buckling floorboards might not just be a sign of an aging home; they might be warning you that you have a termite infestation.
- If your doors or windows are stuck, it might not be the cold weather; it might mean that the integrity of your dwelling is being compromised.
- Termites leave behind pellets as waste. The waste has the appearance of salt and pepper.
- Termites have scales, and when they shed them, it kind of looks like the scales from a fish.
- Termites will often leave tubes in the mud around your foundation; that is the sign that they have made their way in.
Because termites are extremely dangerous to the integrity of your home, it is imperative that you be vigilant about spotting that you have a problem. Termites can eat through your house’s building materials and compromise your foundation. This means it is critical that you stop an infestation before it gets out of control, and before you find yourself in some serious financial trouble. If you want to ensure that you don’t have a termite problem, look for these telltale signs or have an inspection by a St. Louis commercial pest control management company to ensure that termites aren’t lurking.
Unlike other types of insects, businesses and homeowners don’t get a reprieve from the damage that termites can do as the weather cools off. Make sure to be on guard year-round to save your biggest investment. Call B & D Pest Solutions at (855) 682-2855!